
My passport and Korean at a Glance. Utterly, totally, useless. Favorite joke in Korea, and indeed worldwide?
"What do you call someone who speaks two languages? Bi-lingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? American."
Sungnyemun, aka Namdaemun, aka the Great South Gate, the last remaining vestige of the impenetrable wall that once protected your city. What to do with it in the 21st Century? Turn it into a shopping mall, of course!

An enormous mural of a dragon on the roof of the arch at Namdaemun; there is another dragon that wraps around this one. I had to lie on my back to get this picture, pretty much in the highest foot-traffic area on the block. "Everyone stand back, ethnocentric American with a camera and an agenda!" Tourists.

Mmm, Korean barbecue. Hunks of the fattiest pork I've ever seen, cut into 2-inch squares. Careful of the bones in there, Yankee. If you crack a tooth, there are no dentists in Namyang.

Mr. Hurr and me standing in front of a Buddhist temple at Bukhansan. Or a convenience store. I'm not sure which.
3 comments:
buddist temple, convenience store, thunderdome, it's all the same.
Hope all is going well!
"the fattiest pork I've ever seen, cut into 2-inch squares"
I'm struggling to see the problem with this.
Hey, I have French at a Glance and Spanish at a Glance and they've done me quite well. But then again, French and Spanish are kids' stuff compared to Korean.
Post a Comment