Monday, October 29, 2007

14 Hours is a long time to spend on a plane...

Today I traveled back to Korea from Chicago. The Korean Air flight was MUCH better than my previous flights on Northwest; I wonder how much domestic business they do within the US? I forced myself to stay awake on the plane so I can sleep tonight, and I am running on fumes, but wanted to drop a few lines.

I am finding more and more that the image of the Ugly American, while wholly valid, is by no means unique. I am finding that the Ugly Korean exists as well. I don't mean to complain or sound negative in everything I write, but come on, happy things just aren't as entertaining.

Case 1: Korean family existing of mom, dad, and bawling toddler daughter. I think this child cried for 12 of the 14 hours on the plane. I do not fault the child for crying (although I don't think there's a jury in the world that would convict me for throwing her out the door of the plane). I do, however, fault mom and dad, who clearly do not know how to handle a crying baby.

Case 2: The more interesting case. Two ancient Korean women sat behind me on the plane. I mean, two days older than dirt. I think they both felt that the back of my seat was actually a safety handle they could grasp every time they wanted to get up. It was like a kid grabbing onto my chair and shaking it vigorously. However, my favorite event occurred shortly after I managed to finally fall asleep, as one of these ancient women, on her way back to her seat, grabbed my seat back (with my sleeping head on it), shook it to wake me up, and then babble on in Korean about how I was in her way and she couldn't get to her seat (or at least this is what I interpreted from the body langauge). I mean seriously, who shakes a sleeping stranger and starts yelling? And are we really looking for an international incident?

Women. Can't live with 'em...pass the beer nuts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm...... Beer Nuts.....

Sorry I missed you when you were home. Next time give me a little more warning. And come home when I am not doing anything else.